Many of us believe that weight loss is only possible through intense cardio workouts. Nevertheless, flexibility exercises can also be helpful in improving metabolism, blood circulation, and even muscle building! Stretching and particular poses from yoga can burn fat if performed regularly. Also, stretching can be a stress-free first step on your way to a more vigorous workout system.
With that, we have gathered some stretching exercises that are very useful for weight loss.
Why these exercises are really effective?
1. They burn calories. Though it can’t burn calories as many as an active aerobics class, but it can burn some compared when you’re just sitting.
2. They improve metabolism. A lot of these poses can help you balance out the digestive system.
3. They lessen stress. It’s harder to lose weight if your body is stressed, as it has the tendency to store fat. But if you practice mild stretching, you stay calm and balanced.
4. They form muscles. Each of these poses includes different groups of muscles in the process and, consequently, helps you build a stronger body.
Now, let’s take a step closer to your dream body! Perform these effective stretching workouts!
This stretching workout aims for your shoulders, back, chest, abs, hips, and obliques.
- Stretch your arms at your sides and lie down on your mat, feet together;
- Lift your upper body upwards;
- Lean your head back;
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
This stretching workout aims for the following areas: your back, abs, and obliques.
- Sit down on the floor, with one leg stretched in front of you, the other one bent at the knee and crossed over the other.
- Twist your body towards the bent knee;
- Keep twisting your body and hold the pose for 20-30 seconds.
This workout aims for the following areas: your hips, back, and abs.
- From a standing position make a big step with your left foot towards the back of your mat. Rotate your left foot 45 degrees towards the center of the mat;
- Bend your right foot 90 degrees, so that your knee is exactly above your ankle. Keep your back leg straight;
- Reach your arms towards the ceiling;
- Hold this pose for 25-30 seconds and then switch legs and repeat.
This yoga pose is effective in aiming the following areas: hips, glutes, legs, and abs.
- Lie on your back, with your arms stretched at your sides, knees bent 90 degrees;
- Slowly lift your body upwards;
- Press your shoulders/upper back to the floor;
- Hold this pose for 10-15 seconds.
This workout aims for the hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings.
- Lunge your right leg to the side, until the knee is bent 90 degrees;
- Your left leg is extended towards the left side, your left foot is on the floor;
- Lean your upper body slightly forward;
- Hold this pose for 25-30 seconds and then switch sides.
Inner Thigh Stretch
This stretch aims for the inner thighs and groin muscles.
- Sit on the floor with your back straight;
- Bring the soles of your feet together, drop your knees out to the sides;
- Using your forearms slightly press your knees towards the floor, feeling a gentle stretch;
- Hold the pose for 25-30 seconds.